Re: Another angle on this....

From: Heinz Kiosk <no.spam_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 17:09:16 -0000

Jim,

TYVM, very interesting. For me, the top 2 links were broken, and the Ask Tom information was a bit fragmented with all kinds of other stuff though I was kind of able to guess at the multi-versioning stuff.

But the last URL pointing me at the appropriate documentation from 8i was great. Clever, as I expected, and I imagine essential for large datasets and/or enormous transaction volumes. And there are manual overrides for locking too for the really retentive. Excellent.

The "don't necessarilly see recent commited updates from other users" thing explains more fully some behaviour that I'd observed in Oracle and found mildly irritating but hadn't complained about because I'd already guessed it might be linked to this kind of volume performance issue. So thats why when I commit parameter-file UPDATES in PL/SQL in order to change behaviour in my app if I then use my app immediately I don't always see the change. I guess you can imagine how jarring that was to me. I thought I'd gone nuts at first.

Regards

http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/server.901/a88856/c0

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:527304::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F

http://technet.oracle.com/doc/oracle8i_816/server.816/a76965/c23cnsis.htm#17