Cannot access Oracle via PWS and NT4

From: v. <rascolnicov_at_altavista.com>
Date: 21 Feb 2002 06:30:42 -0800

Can somebody help please?

On NT4 Workstation, trying to access Oracle database with PWS (which works fine otherwise). No Oracle client was installed on my machine originally so I took the initiative of installing OLE DB Provider for Oracle Components version 8.1.7.2.0 This installed the Net8 Client and OLEDB Provider but the third component (MTS) cannot be installed, it hangs forever.
Net8 Assistant or Net8 Configuration Assistant, while available in the Start Menu cannot be launched.

When trying to access the database via PWS I get the message: "ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name "

MM_Connection1_STRING = "Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle;User ID=myid;Password=mypassword;Data
Source=mysource;FetchSize=200;CacheType=File;"

%>

(Before installing OLE DB as described above, the error message was:

"The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these components have been installed." )

How can I solve this problem?
Any help is greatly appreciated!

I was able to access Oracle through either MS Access, Dreamweaver or VB Enterprise with Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle. Why is it that PWS cannot access it/ Received on Thu Feb 21 2002 - 08:30:42 CST