Re: NoLogging for perfstat tablespace

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 21 Feb 2002 03:13:57 -0800

Y <a_at_b.c> wrote in message news:<3C74694C.F60045B9_at_b.c>...
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>
> > On 20 Feb 2002 01:10:05 -0800, edzard_at_volcanomail.com (Edzard) wrote:
> >
> > >You are right, ALTER TABLESPACE .. NOLOGGING has zero effect. I just
> > >confirmed this when importing a 2G database in Oracle9i 9.0.1.2, into
> > >a nologging tablespace. So don't worry about the overhead of logging.
> > >But .. only if this refers to the logging/nologging option on the
> > >tablespace. Writing the redo logs is overhead for sure and the idea to
> > >turn it off makes much sense to me too
> >
> > I guess you are
> > a) working with a development database
> > b) don't really know what the purpose of the online redolog is, and
> > why you can't and shouldn' turn it off
> > c) are in for a career change
> >
> > Turning of redolog makes no sense at all, unless
> > a) you don't ever have a power outage
> > b) you don't ever have a disk crash
> > c) the data can be safely trashed as the contents are unimportant to
> > the company you are working for.
>
> I'd like to say all the cases you said here are definitely correct. But
> that not means turning off logging makes no sense at all. You forget one
> thing, all you talk about are OLTP applications. Yes for these kind of
> applications, especially those critical systems, if you turn off logging,
> the database maybe become the garbage.
>
> But, for dw applications, sometimes you should consider turn off logging.
> For these kind of systems, a small part of data lost does not have big
> influce for the analyze result.

Usually it are newbies who seem to think they know better and are smarter.
Obviously that is not true. You are no exception to this rule. I'm confident you will soon experience that yourself and can only hope no one has to sort out the mess you are leaving.

Regards
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Feb 21 2002 - 05:13:57 CST