Re: RAC performance on different hardware solutions

From: Stefan <sroesch3_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:07:34 GMT

Hi Cristian,

as far as I know there is no such doc available. What we have seen from our tests is that you have to look at the following points

Where you see the most differences are in the used interconnect technology. At the moment the memory channel from Compaqseems to be the best interconnect, followed closely by HP Hyperfabric. The Sun interconnect is not that good, but Sun is planning to deliver an improved interconnect this year. Te second thing you have to look at is the interconnect protocol. Both Compaq and HP have developed optimized protocols (RDG and Lowfat). But RDG seems to perform best. Most of the improvement you get from the optimized protocol.

Other things to consider are cluster software. HP and Sun are on the same level, and Compaq seems to have the best offering. It is also the only one which offers CFS (Cluster file system) support with RAC. The overhead of using CFS instead of raw devices is very small (<5%), but the reduction in administrative overhead is considerable.

Hope this helps
Stefan