Re: Another angle on this....

From: Heinz Kiosk <no.spam_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 08:14:38 -0000

> But what is true is that SS and Sybase allow you to write non-standard SQL
> that I detest

And Oracle doesn't anywhere? Just curious. The notation for outer joins eg. I'm not aware of the standard, just common practice which differs from Oracle in that respect.

> SELECT 'x'
> FROM mytable
> WHERE col1 = null;
>
> And they will return rows where col1 IS NULL.
I can't see the mangling of = to IS where rhs is a constant null and lhs some kind of expression as the worst bug in the world. The intention of the code is completely clear. Unlikely to introduce errors or problems on that platform but allows the uninformed to create code thats a bitch to port because a correct handler will reject the lines.

> All RDBMS's have warts and blemishes. It's what keeps us pros in business
> <g>.

There does seem to be a little difficulty elsewhere in this thread with conceding that though. <G>