Re: ?? Which book to read to become a good Database Developer ??

From: Kai Yuen Kiang <kai_kiang_at_cytecht.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:51:15 +0800

start with 'Oracle Design' from O'Reilly' by Ensor & Stevenson. This small book covers application development with design on Oracle in particular.

--
Best Regards,
Kai Yuen Kiang

MIS Analyst
Cytech Technology Ltd.
Tel:  (852) 2378-2225
Fax: (852) 2375-7700
http://www.cytecht.com
"Justin" <dontbother_at_fake.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó

> Hi, there,
>
> I'm thinking about become a database developer (for enterprise, if
> possible, with EAI), probably Oracle is the only reasonable choice (?). I
am
> a Java programmer, been using Oracle as back end. But havn't poke around
it
> much. So basiclly I'm a kind of beginner for Oracle development.
> What book would you recommand that can get me a database developer job
3
> months down the road (not right now, of course, besides, I need time to
> read).
> I've heard "Expert one on one" is pretty good, tom kyte is smart, but
> don't think it fits me at this stage. I need to learn a wide range of
stuff,
> not too deep. Is anyone have opinion on "Oracle 8i Enterprise
Development",
> it seems fit my situation, covers a lot of concepts and tools in a single
> book.
> What's your opinion on 8i vs 9i, should I start off with 9i?
> I know this is Oracle group, but I still want to ask: Should I spend
time
> on other database development, i.e. DB2 and SQL server (I dislike M$,
BTW).