Re: functions vs procedures

From: Jim Kennedy <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 03:22:53 GMT

"Mark & Kristi Wagoner" <mwagoner_at_iac.net> wrote in message news:a51ci7$29pp$1_at_genma.iac.net...
> > Is there a way to insert records in a function?
>
> Yes. Functions can do the same operations as a procedure. They just have
> return value.

While you can do that it is not a good programming practice. This is called having a function with side effects.
That is I call a function - expecting just a return - and it gives me a return and does something else. This is why we have procedures. Use out parameters for what you want to do.
Jim
> > I want to use functions because i can fetch the error messages then.
>
> Depending on what you are doing, you may want to look into exceptions.
Your