LONG datatype error

From: Peter Hrstich <peteandjill_at_ractonrdlondon.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:57:25 -0000

When inserting a LONG datatype column value from one table into a LONG datatype column of another table I get the following message :-

ORA-00997 illegal use of LONG datatype

The description for this in the Oracle doco is the following

Cause: A value of datatype LONG was used in a function or in a DISTINCT, WHERE, CONNECT BY, GROUP BY, or ORDER BY clause. A LONG value can only be used in a SELECT clause.

Action: Remove the LONG value from the function or clause.

However I am only doing a simple SELECT of the value as part of a normal insert statement.

I am running Oracle 8i on a UNIX box (not that I would think this should make any difference).

Can anyone help with this?

Rgds
Pete Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 15:57:25 CST