Oracle SQL/group by/decode

From: David Howland <dhowland123_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 22:51:22 GMT

Hi all:
I am trying to write an SQL in Oracle and could use some help. I have a table
that has 2 columns (lets say), col1 is a timestamp and column 2 is an id. Using
a join to another table I can extract a count of the id's I want and want to group by
a range of times. For example:

time id

01:25    1
01:45    2
01:55    3
02:25    4
03:15    5
04:25    6
05:35    7
06:45    8
07:00    9
08:15   10
09:25   11

Okay, so in conclusion I need an SQL that will get a count of the number of id's by
a range and return something like

time occurrences

01:00 - 02:00 3
02:00 - 03:00 1
03:00 - 04:00 1
04:00 - 05:00 1

etc....

I have tried Oracle's decode and it doesn't seem that I can test ranges of data in the condition and I can't find examples of 'case' anywhere, nor get it to work. Group doesn't appear to allow this kind of functionality. Any thoughts?
thanks, Dave Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 16:51:22 CST