Database file configuration for backup/recovery

From: Brian Dick <bdick_at_cox.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:52:38 GMT

I have a small production system on which I'm trying to develop a reasonable backup/recovery configuration. Data loss and recovery time are not super critical. I extract the data from another system, so I can recreate a day or so of data without much problem. My users are few and out of town much, so again I could take a day or two to recover from media failure.

Budget is my biggest constraint. I have none. The machine I have is the one I have to use. The backup/recovery docs say that two disks are require for a minimal production system. I'm just above minimum. I have three hard drives plus a CDRW for backup.

My application has a single schema with three tablespaces, TS_MYAPP_DATA, TS_MYAPP_INDEX, TS_MYAPP_TEMP. The names explain the use for each tablespace. Eventually, I will have more tablespaces, but these suffice for now.

After reading through the backup/recovery manual and administration guide, I took a stab at placing the files on my three disks. I'm running in ARCHIVELOG mode and automatically archiving log files. I'm multiplexing the control files (3), redo logs (3 groups of 2 members) and archived redo logs (2 sets).

I welcome suggestions for an alternative configuration.

Disk1 (60GB IDE)
  OS (Win2k) and other software (Oracle)   Control file (1)
  Redo log members (member b of all groups)   TS_MYAPP_TEMP data file
  Archived redo logs (LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2)   Online backup of redundancy set

Disk2 (9GB SCSI)
  Control file (2)
  Data files for standard Oracle installation   TS_MYAPP_DATA data file
  Archived redo logs (LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1)

Disk3 (4GB SCSI)
  Control file (3)
  Redo log members (member a of all groups)   TS_MYAPP_INDEX data file

--
Later,
BEDick