partiioning option not worth it?

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:47:35 -0000

I (like another poster) have been suckered into using the partitioning option when we don't have a licence for it. I was told that we 'a licence for everything', but this was from someone who, like me, thought that enterprise edition included it.

The partitioning option costs £7000 per processor and I have 2 on the machine I'm using. For my needs, I can develop my own equivalent functionality in about 1 day.

The partitioning option also requires the enterprise edition which is £28000 per processor instead of £12000.

For a 2 processor machine, using partitioning will cost £44,000. I believe that in > 95% of cases it is straightforward to code the equivalent functionality, certainly in less than 20 man weeks.

Why the f. does anyone buy it?

I also notice the clause about reinstatement fee on support contracts now. No wonder people are looking to open source software when piss-taking like that is going on. Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 13:47:35 CST