Re: BUFFER BUSY WAITS

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 14:31:16 GMT

Connor McDonald wrote:

> I did not rate the book highly - but the man *did* sit down and put pen
> to paper which was more than most of us (including myself) have done.
> So I don't think its appropriate to launch a tirade upon him.
>
> hth
> connor
> --

If you have read the book, or any of his articles on performance tuning - and know something of the subject yourself - you would have to agree he says idiotic things. Like, the answer to all shared pool latch contention is to increase the size of the shared pool until the problem goes away. Just dumb crap from someone who clearly knows little of Oracle internals. Not just dumb, but dangerous.

So, when such a person endeavours to write a book on the subjectindeed,  assumes a role of leadership in the Oracle community - he owes it to himself and the community to get it right. Niemic does not get it right. The fact that he bothered to publish his crap affords him no credit at all, only further discredit. To blatantly mislead is worse than doing nothing at all.

Calling him an idiot is hardly launching a tirade. Besides, he *is* an idiot.