Re: drop system tablespace datafile

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 20 Feb 2002 01:36:56 -0800

"superpeter" <nomail_at_no.com> wrote in message news:<a4vinb$nl7$1_at_news.hk.linkage.net>...
> i creat the extra one datafile in system tablespace beside from the original
> one, there are two of it in the system tablespace now, i want to drop the
> extra one datafile in the system tablespace. i am not so stupid to drop the
> original datafile in system tablespace, hehe..., thank you.
>
> "Tiger Woods" <clintonn_at_meb.co.za> wrote in message
> > You can't.
> > If you want to kill you database, then try.
> >
> > If you are talking about adding a datafile different story altogether....
> >
> > Let me know what you are actually trying to drop, the system tablespace,
> or
> > an extra datafile which you created.
> >

> > "superpeter" <nomail_at_no.com> wrote in message
> > > how can i drop the datafile file in system tablespace? i create the
> extra
> > > one and want to drop it later, but the db deny me to do that.

As explained to you, you cannot drop datafiles from a tablespace. PERIOD.
Oracle is not a point and shoot application. You can only resize them to a few k.
As this is the system tablespace the only way to get rid of it, is to recreate the database.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Feb 20 2002 - 03:36:56 CST