Re: BUFFER BUSY WAITS

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:05:50 GMT

For DBA beginners, you still can't beat the good old Concepts manual, part of the Oracle doc set. And the new 9i book on the Oracle Performance Method is also part of the doc set. It offers a good methodology, although it is a long read and focusses heavily on the server. The DBA 101 Performance Tuning book by Vaidyanatha, et al presents a reasonable methodology, so that would be a good candidate. On the other hand, I just tried to find information on buffer busy waits and only found a discussion of undo segments and undo header waits. Nothing on data segments or headers. Bummer.

Regarding the term "idiot", I must agree the term does not do the illustrious Mister Niemic justice. Plenty of legitimately impaired people out there would be offended to think I place him in their company. Perhaps "blithering idiot" is more to your liking?