Re: When ORA-00054 and when wait?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 20:18:14 +0100

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:11:47 GMT, j.w.vandijk_at_hetnet.nl (Jaap W. van Dijk) wrote:

>When a required lock is already taken, which DML or DDL statement will
>result in a ORA-00054 (resource busy...) and which will result in a
>wait until the lock is freed?
>
>And where is this documented?
>
>Jaap.

AFAIK any DDL is always implicitly 'for update nowait' and will result in ora-0054 if the associated dictionary table is locked. A select for update is always wait unless you explicitly code 'for update nowait'. The same applies to the LOCK TABLE statement. This should be documented with the for update clause of the select statement, and the LOCK table statement. Any implict DML locks (ie you issue an update without isuing a select for update) are always 'for update wait'

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Feb 19 2002 - 13:18:14 CST