Re: Howto move database to other server

From: Sally Pearce <sally.pearce_at_ncr.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:52:42 -0000

You can copy the database over by doing the following (serverA is the 'full' server, B is the server with space):

  1. Decide on the 'new' datafile layout you will be using on B - take into consideration both hardware and software contention (disk controllers, index and data tablespaces etc)
  2. Copy over the init.ora and any startup parameter files you use from A to B - make sure they are put in the correct place as the ORACLE_HOME may be different on the two servers, and make sure the entries are correct for where the control files will be put. 2b) Make the appropriate entry in tnsnames.ora and bounce the listener.
  3. Check that the Unix parameters will allow you to start up the new database - disk space is not the only criterion to take into account when deciding if a database will 'fit' on a server (eg is there enough shared memory - will the SGA fit?). If they won't, you will have to alter the parameters and bounce the server for the changes to take effect.
  4. shut down database on A
  5. either backup the database on A to tape and restore to B (if you don't have to change the location of any of the datafiles - or only one or two and you will have enough time to move the datafiles before the disk fills up while reading from the tape. . .;-) or
  6. Ftp the datafiles over from A to B - but putting the datafiles into the new location. Make sure you copy over the log files and control files too (all copies thereof)
  7. Set your ORACLE_SID to the SID of the copied over database
  8. svrmgrl - connect internal - startup mount This will mount the database and allow you to rename any datafiles that have 'moved'
  9. alter database rename file '/oldfullpath/x' to 'newfullpath/x'; - do this for all datafiles that are in a different place
  10. When all the moved datafiles have been renamed, issue 'alter database open;' and your database should be up and running
  11. Make sure any backup scripts on B know that the database has appeared and needs backed up - in fact, shut it down and take a cold backup as soon as the database is up and running happily.
  12. Issue an 'alter database backup control file to trace' command so that you can recreate the control file if necessary

That should just about cover it.
There are other ways of doing it - but this works for me for our 7.3.4 databases given our current hardware (yes, I know 7.3.4 was desupported aeons ago but it's not my call. . .)