Re: BUFFER BUSY WAITS

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:25:35 GMT

Ricky Sanchez doodled thusly:

>1. Take the Rich Niemic book and toss it in the trash. The man is a
>complete idiot.

thank you. I thought that too, but I've been told by local "powers that be" at Oracle Professional Services that he's God and anyone else from TUSC is an archangel.
Mind you, this was a few years ago when anyone from Australia was "rubbish" and anyone from overseas was God. That has changed somewhat too (thanks, SA!). And about time.

>Data/Index: Poor application design is probably the issue. Most likely
>snip of good stuff.
>value. You might also have too many indexes. If so, analyze the
>application and get rid of some indexes.

or if you're faced with a third party app where you can't change a thing without breaking the "warranty", whatever that means nowadays (Peoplesoft and others spring to mind):

look at speeding up access to these index blocks by splitting your buffer cache using the DEFAULT/RECYCLE/KEEP mantra and allocating "problem" indexes to the right cache. Highly dependent on nature of table usage which of RECYCLE or KEEP one uses.

>And get rid of that Rich Niemic crap.

hope you got a good backing, and agreed.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Feb 19 2002 - 05:25:35 CST