Re: Oracle context

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:42:08 +0300

Not exactly correct. CONTEXT has nothing to do with ConText (aka interMedia Text aka Oracle Text - I think that's why the cartridge was renamed several times - to remove confusion). ConText server (ctxsrv) has nothing to do with CONTEXT either - it is used for background indexing of ConText indexes and is deprecated in favor of Oracle jobs calling CTX_DDL.SYNC_INDEX. If you plan to migrate from 8.1.6 (which is already desupported as of now), I would suggest you to use DBMS_JOB facility to schedule some jobs synchronizing the indexes - this way index sync will work on newer Oracle releases as well (9i in particular as it does not have ctxsrv anymore).