Re: removing archived logs

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 18 Feb 2002 07:23:58 -0800

Cristian Veronesi <c.veronesi_at_crpa.it> wrote in message news:<3C70B959.77D88AED_at_crpa.it>...
> Hello, I'm running Oracle 9.0.1.2 on SuSE SLES7.
> DB is in archivelog mode but I'm performing cold backups anyway.
> HD is now almost full due to the size of archived logs, so I'm wondering
> if it is a safe operation to shut down the database, move them to
> another media and restart the database.
> Thanks for your help.
>
> Kind regards, Cristian

Cristian, there is no need to shutdown Oracle just to move and/or remove the old archive logs. As long as you do not touch the currently in use log you should be fine.

Also to save space we use the UNIX compress and uncompress on our archived redo logs. On any system with a lossless compression routine this is safe, but I am not familar with SuSE so you might want to test using a decompressed archive log in a test db recovery before relying on the utility in production.