Re: ARCHIVE on Oracle 8.1.7.2

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 13:33:45 GMT

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002 18:20:54 -0500, Donna wrote:

> What could cause a production datafile to request media recovery and
> apply *.arc logfiles after taking it offline to move it to a different
> disk?
>
> Steps and Results:
> 1) Took Hot Backup of production datafile; 2) Took production datafile
> offline; (Feb. 17) 3) Removed OS link used to point to old device
> location; 4) mv datafile to new location; 5) Created new link used to
> point to new device location; 6) alter database datafile '.......'
> ONLINE; (Did not need to
> change location in database because symbolic link path did not change
> in database)
> 7) ** At this point, database requested all archive logs from
> 3 days prior (Feb. 14) to current time (Feb. 17);
> 6) Second alternative was to restore datafile (from backup taken
> right before step 1, which would be current); But database still
> requested applied logs from Feb. 14(same as before);
>
> Can anyone suggest situations or parameter settings that could cause
> this?
>
> Thanks

The fact that the naughty RDBMS is asking for the 3 days of archives might mean that the last SCN recorded in the datafile header is 3 days old and that there is no way around that. That brings me to the following question: did you issue any of the "buffer sync" commands prior to taking the file online (alter system checkpoint, alter system switch logfiles)? If not, then you have to apply all those archives. Don't be afraid, from the fact that the last SCN is 3 days old, I can conclude that the file you're trying to move is not a very active one. The second question is: did you take your datafile out of the backup mode before taking it offline? Normally, a file that is taken offline while in normal mode and then returned back online shouldn't require a recovery. Anyway, let 'em have those archives so that the users are able to work again.

--
Mladen Gogala