Re: UTL_FILE - Print Novell Network

From: steve <E_at_E.COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 05:47:11 +0800

oracle on one machine cannot access the paths on a novell server, as oracle is using the i/o kernel to directly access your local servers devices.
also setting utl_file_dir = '*' is a real big mistake and a real big security hole, as it bypasses any server side security and gives access directly to root programs (you can write/read absolutly ANY file on the server), on the machine that the oracle resides on.

also writing to lpt1 is a little different that dumping a file directly into the printer Queue on the novell server, as output directed to lpt1 goes through a printer driver( converts the output to printer specific codes) and security that informs the server that a job is ready, it would depend on how the print queue is implemented at the novell end and its security.

you might try a java module on the client or server, that is called by the oracle, as java is a bit more printer friendly than oracle and would give you cleaner code that is easier to maintain and implement.

steve