Re: Advice about moving to Solaris?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:46:48 -0000

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:a20d28ee.0202150348.6c019fdf_at_posting.google.com... <snip>
> No, try to learn a *real* O/S. Oracle on NT will always be limited to
> companies with 50-100 employees, because of the nature of NT

The first bit of this advice is very good. learning more than one os will teach anyone a hell of a lot about both good and bad os design but also about how things actually work. plus of course the not rebooting so often. The second bit of this advice is clearly rubbish. we run oracle for all our critical database based business processes and have approx 3000 employees. win2k is perfectly fine for this load as was NT before it.

Frankly this sort of advice gets my goat. If you can only configure NT to support say 100 users or it crashes every month or so then your NT skills suck. FWIW my Unix skills are very ropey mainly due to disuse. so if my linux box dies every second week am i right to conclude that linux is a bit crap or does the problem lie with the operator.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA