Re: SYS as SYSDBA

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 15 Feb 2002 10:24:37 GMT

Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote:
> Two answers.

> First. You can issue 'connect / as sysdba', or 'connect sys/changedpassword
> as sysdba'. Either will get you on as SYS. You may or may not have to

Thanks. That worked (but only locally). I could not use a 8.0.5 client's sqlplus to do that. I got ORA-01031 insufficient privilege.

But I think connecting to SYS as SYSDBA doesn't make any sense when VIEWs should be created that can be used by other users.

Gupta/formerly CenturaSoft/formerly Gupta provide an SQL script that lets a Gupta application use their SYSADM user and their views to SYSCOLUMS, SYSTABLES etc.

To give an example:

DROP VIEW SYSCOLCOUNT; CREATE VIEW SYSCOLCOUNT (OBJ#, COLCOUNT)         AS
SELECT C.OBJ#, COUNT(*)
FROM SYS.COL$ C
GROUP BY C.OBJ#
;

DROP PUBLIC SYNONYM SYSTABLES;
CREATE PUBLIC SYNONYM SYSTABLES FOR SYS.SYSTABLES; When the SYS user isn't suitable any longer for these tables to access which user would it be then?

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de