Re: Advice about moving to Solaris?

From: Thomas Jegen <thomas.jegen_at_siemens.ch>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 09:19:11 +0100

gdas wrote:

> Is my lack more advanced unix experience an issue in regards to being
> a DBA for an Oracle server on unix? If so, what exactly do I need to
> be familiar with about the Unix OS?

As soon as the database is installed it shouldn't be a big issue. Basically most parts are the same on every platform. But it might be a good ideo to attend some course. Here in Switzerland several education providers offer courses for system administration for Oracle DBAs.

> Probably everything I have ever done with oracle on windows has been
> through sql*plus (from a remote client), svrmgrl or through a text
> editor (modifying the init/tns/sqlnet .ora files). I've also copied
> files around for backups, aside from that I am not doing much of
> anything at the OS level. Even most of the monitoring scripts I have
> rewritten run from remote machines and not physically on the database
> server.

Basically you can do the same on a unix box.

> I can do all of the above regardless of whether the DB is Windows,
> Unix or whatever OS.
>
> There was a time several months ago where I had to add a new physical
> disk and extend a raid partition. I know how to do this in Windows...
> wouldn't even know where to begin on a Sun box.
>
> I assume the biggest challenges are the initial installation of the
> oracle software on unix? Would that be correct? Does Oracle on Unix
> require more intimate knowledge of the OS? Do OS level parameters
> have to be configured that do not apply on Windows?
You are right, this is the part where you will experience the most differences. There are some parameters (kernel parameters) you have to set in Solaris and you have to be careful about the environment when you install the datafase (set all recommended envirnoment varibles!). Also there are some traps in handling CDs (e. g. if you start the installaer from the CD you will not be able to change it to put in the second CD).

> We have a consultant working for us part-time, 2 days a week (or on an
> as needed basis). He's a unix guru, but he doesn't know Oracle... but
> I do. Can the two of us together, be successful in making this happen
> (eventually the consultant's knowledge would trickle over to me)? Or
> would you suggest I stay with windows?
In my opinion the two of you should be able to install the database together. Just take care that you exactly follow the instructions in the installation manual regarding Solaris installation. I am of the opinion that for larger databases Unix Systems (Solaris, HP-UX or AIX) are the better choice than Windows systems because they scale to much larger systems and because these OSes are built to run as servers in the background.
Additionally I would consider it as a good chance to improve your systems knowledge wich can be a plus in your future career. When you work with Unix for a while you will recognize that it is not that difficoult to understand.

> Would appreciate any advice you have to offer.
>
> Thanks,
> Gavin

Siemens Switzerland Ltd, Software House, ES 41
Thomas Jegen, Software Engineer
Albisriederstrasse 245, CH-8047 Zürich
Phone +41 585 583 438, Fax +41 585 545 340
mailto:thomas.jegen@siemens.com, Internet: http://www.siemens.ch/

Important Note: This e-mail may contain trade secrets or privileged,
undisclosed or otherwise confidential information. If you have received
this e-mail in error, you are hereby notified that any review, copying
or distribution of it is strictly prohibited. Please inform us
immediately and destroy the original transmittal. Thank you for your
cooperation.