Re: consistency check

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 06:16:53 +1100

Use RMAN to do your backups. It checks for inconsistency as it does the backups. If your backup succeeds, you don't have any corruption.

You can always consider things like DB_BLOCK_CHECKING, too (throws errors into the alert log if it encounters corruption). I'd stay away from DB_BLOCK_CHECKSUM like the plague, if I were you: it imposes a very significant performance overhead. The CHECKING version is not entirely a freebie, either, but it's much, much less of a killer than the older CHECKSUM. Personally, if I was using RMAN, I wouldn't be using anything else.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com