Oracle on a VA7400 from HP

From: John van Eck <JvanEck_at_ssc.dordrecht.nl>
Date: 14 Feb 2002 10:24:23 GMT

Hello,

We are about to start using a VA7400 storage solution from HP for a number of our Oracle Databases. If you read about the VA7400 I think every DBA start to feel out of control because regardless of setting the VA on AUTORAID or RAID0+1 you simply have no control on what disk or how your data will be stored within the array. I am still trying to come to terms with the fact that you simply have to regard the VA as a black box.

Last friday we received training from a HP consultant about the VA7400 array how to set it up with LVM on the machine (a HP-UX server). The HP consultant however did not know much about Oracle, so with setting the logical volume stripe size (lvcreate) he could not give any advice on how the set the stripe size.
We got OS and database block sizes of 8Kb, so the stripe size should be 8Kb or a multiple of 8Kb. So far so good. But because you have no control of the placing of the data on the disk within the array, I have no idea what would be the best stripe size for us to set for the VA7400 array. At the moment our VA contains 10 disks of bruto 36Gb. Further on it has two controllers.

Anyone out there than can shed some light on this issue. Your help would be higly appreciated.

John van Eck
DBA
Gemeente Dordrecht
The Netherlands Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 04:24:23 CST