Re: Insert slow on 817 compared to 815

From: Kenneth Koenraadt <no email>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:30:47 GMT

On 13 Feb 2002 14:01:39 -0800, dwms_at_space.com (Dan Williams) wrote:

>Actually, I have both instances running right now. If I connect to
>the 815 instance, performance is the same as always. If I connect to
>the 817, a dml instensive action takes about twice as long.

Hi Dan,

So you have the same logical data structure, same amount of data and same application.

But several other things may differ between the databases :

  1. init.ora parameters : Does the first database have more or better distributed memory resources than the second one ?
  2. Data organisation : Data segments may be better organised on the first database, with more appropriate extent sizes, for example. Indexes may have been recently rebuilt on the first DB.
  3. If you use cost based optimizer, better statistics may be present on the first database.
  4. Does the first DB have its datafiles placed on faster disks that the second one ? Or are its datafiles more efficiently distributed over disks ?
  5. The OS settings could somehow favorize the first database.
  6. And many more....

Regards,