Re: Oracle Server on Windows NT Cluster

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 07:06:22 +0100

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 02:49:25 GMT, damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote:

>I suspect it is because he is one of those people probably stuck supporting a full
>range of Oracle versions including some ancient 7.3.x or 8.0.x instances. I walked off
>a project at the first possible moment a few years back when I realized the intent was
>to not upgrade to 8i.
>
>I can't wait to get my hands on 9i release 2 after attending a lecture at Oracle
>yesterday in which they discussed the integration of OLAP into the kernel. I was
>definitely impressed. Imaging being stuck still trying to leverage 8i.
>
>Yech!
>
>Daniel Morgan

You're absolutely correct.
Those customers include several *very big* firms in the Netherlands. Some of them even want to run 3rd party sw using Forms 4.5 in 2004. Basically, in the Netherlands the reluctancy to upgrade is enormous, as it won't buy those firms anything (never heard of locally managed tablespaces), at least that's what they think. That we can't get in touch with OTS, can't get patches etc, etc is apparently none of their business.
Even if customers are running 8i they are using some frontend which was developed in the 7.3.4 era (do you know how many 3rd party vendors just don't support 8.0 and 8i), or worse, 3rd party software originally developed for sqlserver or sybase, which was just 'ported' to Oracle. One of my customers has bought such a package, without RI and all primary keys RAW(16), he's going to regret this dearly, especially since he must have thrown away $$ to have a 3rd consultancy party develop a frontend for it.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Feb 14 2002 - 00:06:22 CST