Re: SQL*Plus Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:10:03 +1100

Daniel must have missed the bit about you not wanting to type in your password each time.

So here's my suggestion. Forget about all those environment variables. In the directory where you usually load SQL Plus from, create a new text document called login.sql -in there, you can put a number of things, such as:

set pagesize 2000
set linesize 132
connect system/manager_at_db1

...or, in your case, connect me/password_at_server.

When you then run "sqlplus /nolog", the login.sql script is automatically executed for you. Voila... connected, and no password typing necessary. You might want to then experiment with chmodding (and conceivably chowing it, too) the script so that a nefarious user can't simply view it and discover your password, but sqlplus has no trouble using it.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com