Re: Upgrade Issues for Solaris 2.6 --> 7 or 8?

From: NorwoodThree <norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 15:59:32 -0800

No no no no.

Upgrade to Solaris8 if you wish to upgrade. I remember issues with Solaris7, but I honestly cant remember what they are. However, 817 is certified on Solaris7 if you want to slap it on there and give it a shot. I know for a fact that Sun patches Sun-Oracle related patches on Solaris 8 first, and then back-ports if necessary. At least thats what a Sun guy told me.

Oracle offers 2 Enterprise versions for Solaris: 32 and 64 bit. If you are on 32, there is no real reason (my opinion) to upgrade to 64 bit. 64 bit Oracle allows for larger SGA's. Some camps think that 32 bit is faster. Recommendation: 32 bit.

Solaris 64-bit can run 32 or 64 bit Oracle in simple terms.

Without consulting Oracle support, this is how I would personally tackle it. Suggestions/criticisms always welcome.

  1. If possible, shutdown the database, and copy the cold datafiles to the upgraded Sun server with Solaris8.
  2. TAR the Oracle binary tree and un-tar it onto your Solaris8 machine. Another option would be to re-install 817 from the Oracle CD.
  3. Bring up the database. Relink.
  4. Test.