Re: 64 bit client accessing 32 bit server?

From: Edzard <edzard_at_volcanomail.com>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 13:48:46 -0800

No problem to connect with a 64-bit Oracle Client to a 32-bit server. No problem the reverse way either. Even a SQLNET 2.3.4 Client can connect to 64-bit server (if no UTF character set). The only thing is: use sqlnet and not a shared memory connection. So the connect string must be something like user/password_at_tnsname and you must have the listener running on the server. The old-fashioned way, where the ORACLE_SID environment variable is used to indicate the database, can not be used in your case.

With regards to the licensing question, Oracle Corporation does not charge extra fee for 64-bit versions. Unless the new per seat or processor metrics have changed.

Edzard