Re: Partitioning question

From: Adrian Billington <billiauk_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: 13 Feb 2002 13:36:49 -0800

Dimitry

Your range partitioning strategy is very much based on your data - you don't necessarily have to range partition by dates - though in warehouses this is probably the most common.

You are suggesting denormalising your child table just so you can partition it by the same criteria as the parent table. I would question why you would want to do this. Presumably you will index your foreign key, so joining shouldn't be an issue.

In my opinion, partitioning is of MOST use for ageing out data in "rolling windows" and also for various administration tasks. True, you can get quite significant query performance in some cases and very marginal performance improvements in others. I never partition for query's sake - I always partition for administration sake (I am a developer, not a DBA, but have written and developed partitioning strategies for two banks). So look again at why you are partitioning these tables is my advice.

Hope this helps - it doesn't really give you an answer!

Regards

Adrian Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 15:36:49 CST