Oracle Partitioning License

From: Graeme <graeme.fairley_at_wpcorp.com.au>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 19:15:31 -0800

We are running Oracle Enterprise edtion on our Solaris server. Early last year we upgraded from Oracle 7.3 to Oracle 8.1.7. As part of the upgrade, the Oracle Partitioning binaries were installed. (It appears that this feature is installed as part of "TYPICAL" install - to prevent the installation, a "CUSTOM" install is required, and the PARTITIONING option must be removed.) Not realising that partitioning is licensed separately, we continued with the install.

As we run a data warehouse, with large tables we decided to make use of the Partitioning option. It took several months of work in a test environment to get these options correct and tune the DB, but we recieved considerable performance benefits.

Only after implementing this, did our Oracle rep. inform us that we are using an unlicenced product (the partitioing option). We are now in a situation where we will have to back out PARTITIONING (and upset our clients/users) or pay the high cost for partitioning.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Are people using partitioning aware that it is not licenced with the Enterprise Edition, but is an extra?

Next thing you know, we will discover that indexes are not licesenced! Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 21:15:31 CST