LOB's, storage space and deleting records

From: Graham Potts <graham_at_pncl.co.uk>
Date: 12 Feb 2002 13:00:24 -0800

Hi,

I'm getting quite confused trying to work out what is going on with our database and would appreciate some tips! (Oracle 8.1.7)

We've got a table that contains 4 LOB fields. It has a tablespace all to itself. Database block size is 8k but the average size of a LOB is more like 50-100kbytes. The table extends as we put data in it until there is no free space in the tablespace and what we have been doing is adding more datafiles every time this happens. However we have deleted a load of records recently and are now doing so on a daily basis - in fact deleting more than we are inserting most of the time. However, the table still keeps grabbing new extents until there is almost no more space to grab.

What I can't determine is whether the space we are freeing by deleting rows can be reused for inserts of new data.

Can anybody give me a quick insight into how and when Oracle will reuse space when LOB's are deleted?

Thanks
Graham Received on Tue Feb 12 2002 - 15:00:24 CST