Re: init.ora parameters

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 05:57:23 +1100

Comments below
HJR "Jay" <mkuruvil2000_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:66518e50.0202121050.64565cb7_at_posting.google.com...
> I have these parameters set by someone who no longer works for the
> company. It did not look right to me, so could someone please tell me
> if this looks okay. We are creating a replication environment on this
> machine. We only have one master definition site and one master
> destination site.
> The physical memory of the system is 1GB.
> Now, some of the parameters I have is as follows:
>
> shared_pool_size = 600000000
> shared_pool_reserved_size = 100000000
> buffer_pool_keep=(BUFFERS:500,LRU_LATCHES:2)
> large_pool_size = 100000000

These look way out to me (but then you really need to do the usual tuning things to make sure). For a start, total SGA should not exceed about 1/3rd of available RAM, so if you've got 1Gb of RAM, a shared pool of 600Mb is already way over the top. You tell us you have 500 buffers for the keep pool, but not how many buffers you have in total (db_block_buffers), so there's no way of knowing for sure -but 500 sounds ridiculously low. The large pool is used in multi-threaded server configuration, for I/O slaves, and when RMAN is used to do backups. I can't think of the last time I saw a large pool bigger than 10Mb, yet here you have one 10 times as big.... it is highly unlikely that it needs to be that big.

But to be certain-ish on all these things, why not run utlbstat at 9.00am, utlestat at 5.00pm, (or whatever you think is a time period of typical load) and submit the report.txt to http://www.oraperf.com for a quick bit of analysis? That site's advice is not too bad, and is at least a good place to start from.

Regards
HJR