Re: HOW TO GET ROWS FROM EXCEL TO ORACLE

From: Makbo <makbo_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 15:11:33 GMT

Another approach is to use Perl on the same machine as your Excel file, and with DBD::Oracle and DBD::ODBC modules, you can pretty much move and massage the data any way you want. Set up the Excel file as an ODBC data source.

Drawback is the overhead of configuring Perl, Oracle client and ODBC datasource on your Windows machine, plus knowing Perl programming.

Advantages are, it's portable, scalable, and flexible in terms of using whatever source and target data source you want, such as CSV, MS SQL Server, XML, etc. And, it's easier to run something like this in unattended batch mode if necessary.

I had to do something very similar with MS Access, which involved creating a matching Oracle schema from scratch and then copying the table data.

Chuck wrote:

> I know of a couple of ways.
[...]