Re: 1 Billion 11 Byte Words... Need to Check Uniqueness Using Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 10:46:21 GMT

Hooty and the Blowfish doodled thusly:

>moving to SQL Server to save some money. One of the business cases
>they're working with is the testing of 1 billion 11 character words
>for uniqueness. Apparently they've been sold on the idea that SQL
>Server will rock their monkey.

I'd love to see them load 1 billion rows into SQL Server! ROFL!!!!

>I tend to disagree and believe that Oracle will handle this task much
>more elegantly.

Probably. But I wouldn't bother in the least with any of these. Just get a copy of syncsort or similar product and sort a file with all the things in it. If you ask gently, syncsort will even pull out the dups for you!

Or write a C program to hash the characters into a compact code and do a quick in-memory search for it.

Lots of other options much faster than loading this stuff into a DB spring to mind.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Sat Feb 09 2002 - 04:46:21 CST