Re: Can I have Standby Server with Oracle SE ?

From: Ganesh Raja <ganesh_at_gtfs-gulf.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:11:14 +0400

On Sat, 9 Feb 2002 10:20:56 +0100, "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

>"Krist" <xtanto_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Assuming we are using Oracle Standard Edition,
>> I need what so called 'high availibility at low price'
>>
>> Can I do this with Oracle ? :
>> I want to have standby server, so that I have 2 server :
>> Primary Server -> for normal operation
>> Secondary Server -> for standby, if primary fails then it take over the
>> function.
>> Secondary should have exact same copy of the database in Primary.
>>
>> How can I do this with Oracle SE ?
>>
>> Thanks a lot for the info,
>> Krist
>
>No, the standby option is available in the Enterprise Edition only.
>This is the only solution which is robust, all other 'solutions' (like
>copying over archived redologs and recover a second database with them)
>should be considered unstable and 'mickey mouse solutions'. One day Murphy
>will hit and you appear to have a Career Limiting Setup.
>

>Regards

i Think Standby Server Can be done on a Standard Edition..

The Only Problem is that you cannot move the Archivelog files manually since the log_archive_dest_n parameters are not available in this edition.

HTH [Additions and Corrections Always Welcome.] Best Regards,
Ganesh R Received on Sat Feb 09 2002 - 04:11:14 CST