Re: 1 Billion 11 Byte Words... Need to Check Uniqueness Using Oracle

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2002 05:09:29 GMT

in article 11d78c87.0202081958.18ed2521_at_posting.google.com, Bryan W. Taylor at bryan_w_taylor_at_yahoo.com wrote on 2/8/02 7:58 PM:

> Hooty and the Blowfish <bob_at_bob.com> wrote in message

<snip lots of good stuff>

> Using all these techniques, you should absolutely blow away
> SQL*SERVER, to the point where your managment never speaks of it
> again.

All the suggestions to date will work, and will work well. However, when I first saw the question, I couldn't help wondering if using a database seemed to be a bit of overkill. Is this a one of occurence ? Do you need to query these words once you have validated uniqueness ? Surely some sort of file based sort program would be a lot cheaper if you don't. Received on Fri Feb 08 2002 - 23:09:29 CST