Re: URGENT! ORA-1658 in TEMP tablespace???

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.spammenot.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 13:25:14 -0500

Thanks for the info.

> It is never freed but the extents within it should be available
> for re-use as soon as the sessions using them finish with them.
Apparently Oracle did not release the extents, even after I killed the session and made sure the process is really gone on the OS side as well as the Oracle side.

> I notice that your extent size is very small. It should be at least
> as large as your sort_area_size and probably should be a multiple
My actual segment size is bigger. I just tried to get is small enough so that Oracle would not complain it cannot create initial sehgment (but that failed).

--

Syltrem
http://pages.infinit.net/syltrem (OpenVMS related web site - en français)

178d2795.0202080734.793b4b9d_at_posting.google.com...

> > NOT so urgent anymore.
> >
> > I found that user`s temp tablespace can be changed dynamically (user
does
> > not need to log back in). That`s a good thing; I just created a new
> > tablespace, assigned the users to it and all was fine.
> >
> > But why did this happen? I read an article on metalink that suggests the
> > space used in a temp tablespace may not be free for 12 hours! (in 7.x)
> >
> > I am on 8.1.6.0
> >
> > Before this happened, I did a big CREATE INDEX that completed
successfully.
> > Then I started to do another one that completed with an error allocating
> > temp segment in the index`tablespace (bacause reached maxextents). I
used
> > the wrong tablespace - my fault.
> >
> > Then the temp tablespace was full, and Oracle would not free it. Seems
like
> > a bug to me.
> >
> > If someone knows, please tell me!
> >
> > "Syltrem" <syltrem_at_videotron.spammenot.ca> a écrit dans le message de
> > RGC88.4049$EI.21844_at_tor-nn1.netcom.ca...
> > > How is this possible?
> > > How can I clear the situation?
> > >
> > > SQL> select BLOCKS from v$sort_usage;
> > >
> > > BLOCKS
> > > 260
> > > 260
> > > 260
> > >
> > > 3 rows selected.
> > >
> > > and I get
> > > ORA-01658: unable to create INITIAL extent for segment in tablespace
TEMP