Datafiles debacle: How to remove unrecoverable datafile tablespace and partitions

From: Chuck Moore <Chasville_at_juno.com>
Date: 8 Feb 2002 07:56:48 -0800

In my playing around with 8i, I accidently deleted some datafiles at the OS level (rm raw_20020123.dbf) before having dropped the table partitions in the tablespace, and thus also before dropping the tablespace. The database is not all that critical, so I never set up any extensive backup procedures nor archiving of the logs. The data is old and I want it gone. A backup did happen to exist, but I had already "alter database datafile '.../raw_20020123.dbf' offline drop" to be able to open the database for other work to continue. This marked the file for recovery. But I don't have the log files to effect a roll forward for the recovery. I don't care. I just want to remove the parition references (rb1%_20020123), tablespace (raw_20020123), and datafile from the database so that I can do full table scans again. The tablespace is defined as locally managed. How do I tell the data dictionary to remove the information event though the datafile is unavailable? Received on Fri Feb 08 2002 - 09:56:48 CST