Re: connect as versus internal

From: Joachim Rupik <JRupik_at_awrsp.gov.pl>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2002 08:53:04 +0100

Hello,

Thank you all of you for responses.

Nitin Goyal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> It seems its a much simpler issue rather than password file and
> additional syntax checking:
>
> See the snippet below - this was run when there was no Oracle instance
> running:
>
> [oracle_at_linux oracle]$ sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Fri Feb 8 12:23:46 2002
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> shutdown abort;
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges
> SQL>
> SQL>
> SQL> connect internal;
> Connected to an idle instance.
> SQL> shutdown abort;
> ORACLE instance shut down.
> SQL>
>
> It is clear from Joachim Rupik's post that
>
> $ sqlplus /nolog
>
> SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Tue Jan 8 08:40:20 2002
>
> (c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> SQL> connect / as sysdba
> ERROR:
> ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are
> permitted
> <<<<<<--- Here you were not able to connect in the first place.
>
> SQL> shutdown abort
> ORA-01031: insufficient privileges <<<<<<-- As not connected, this
> error raised
> SQL>
> SQL> connect internal
> Connected to an idle instance.
>
> The only point of inetrest being that we get the message "ORACLE
> instance shut down" even when there is no instance running. Maybe
> Oracle is too sure of completing this successfully so that it doesnt
> even bother to check whether there is an instance even in the first
> place.

I am not sure that I understand correctly what you mean. You have mention that this happens because instance was not running. Yes? Instance (all OS processes ) was running - but hung because of still executing sessions (was waiting for it to finish execute) - there were sessions (server) OS processes.

If your point of view is correct - I could be able connect to an idle instance --only-- using "connect internal",
but normally I can use "connect / as sysdba" to perform such tasks (startup and shutdown).

$ sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production on Thu Feb 7 09:50:48 2002

(c) Copyright 2000 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

SQL> connect / as sysdba
Connected.
SQL> shutdown
Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down.
SQL> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 157720468 bytes

Fixed Size                    73620 bytes
Variable Size             123920384 bytes
Database Buffers           33554432 bytes
Redo Buffers                 172032 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.
SQL> exit
Disconnected from Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.7.2.0 - Production