Re: 300Go database

From: Mark & Kristi Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 22:43:36 -0500

Where I used to work we had a client that had a database about that big on a NT box. But it was the biggest machine we could get from Dell at the time - 4 processor with 4G RAM, Fibre Channel disk arrays and a 5 tape DLT changer.

It can be done, but I'm not sure I could recommend it. If everything works there is no problem, but we found a memory leak in 8.1.5 when using BFILEs. The lack of low-level utilities made it very hard to find (ever run PerfMon for 3 months straight?)

Linux wasn't an option back when we set that up, but that is probably what I would go with now.