Re: URGENT! ORA-1658 in TEMP tablespace???

From: Syltrem <syltrem_at_videotron.pas.de.spam.ca>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 21:12:16 -0500

NOT so urgent anymore.

I found that user`s temp tablespace can be changed dynamically (user does not need to log back in). That`s a good thing; I just created a new tablespace, assigned the users to it and all was fine.

But why did this happen? I read an article on metalink that suggests the space used in a temp tablespace may not be free for 12 hours! (in 7.x)

I am on 8.1.6.0

Before this happened, I did a big CREATE INDEX that completed successfully. Then I started to do another one that completed with an error allocating temp segment in the index`tablespace (bacause reached maxextents). I used the wrong tablespace - my fault.

Then the temp tablespace was full, and Oracle would not free it. Seems like a bug to me.

If someone knows, please tell me!