Re: problem with installing Oracle Designer 6i

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 00:32:43 +0100

"Bill Han" <billhan_at_seatech.bc.ca> wrote in message news:PuC88.52752$_F4.10732173_at_news0.telusplanet.net...
> Hi Sybrand,
>
> Thank you for your help! But another problem comes up.
>
> Followed your instruction, I changed a new name, OraHome90Dgn, and a new
> directory, d:\oracle\ora90Dgn. Then I can sucessfully install Designer 6i.
> But when I tried to login Oracle Designer by typing the
> username/password/connectionString of my original database (Oracle
Database
> 9i), it didn't work.
>
> Also before I installed Designer, I could use Quest SQL Navigator for 9i
> database. But now I cannot login SQL Navagator by the original
> username/password/database too.
>
> It seems after installed Designer, nobody can recognize the original 9i
> database except itself.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill
>

> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message
> >
> > "Bill Han" <billhan_at_seatech.bc.ca> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > I just downloaded Oracle 9i Database and Oracle Designer 6i Release
> 4.1.1
> > > from Oracle's website. I can install 9i Database to Windows XP and
2000
> > > without any problem. But when I tried to install Designer 6i either to
> > > Windows XP or 2000, I always got an error message said:
> > >
> > > ------------------
> > > The location specified, "D:\oracle\ora90", is already used as an
Oracle
> > > home for 'Oracle 82 Beta'.
> > > It cannot be used as an Oracle home for 'nt'.
> > > ------------------
> > >
> > > Does anyone know how to get rid of it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bill
> > >

> > As the message says: you can't install Designer 6i in the same home, you
> > need to install it in a different home,
> > so when the home dialog pops up, you need to override Oracle 82 beta,
> choose
> > a new name and choose a new directory.
> > All Designer 6i docs are up on http://technet.oracle.com , this usually
> also
> > includes the installation docs.
> >
> > Hth
> >
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

I knew this was going to happen. I also knew the answer to this was posted over and over again. I was one of the posters. I didn't include the reference to the installation docs for nothing. I had some hope I didn't have to answer this question again. I'm not paid for it.
However, again that didn't help.

Anyway here goes and *please, please, please* there are numerous resources on the web, there are installation docs, there are archives at http://groups.google.com , *please* try to make the life of the small group of people here responding to the same questions over and over again *easier*, so they will continue to answer questions

The issue is you know have 2 %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin directories. Either copy the server one over to designer or (better solution)
setup hkey\local_machine\software\oracle\TNS_ADMIN to point to the server network admin directory.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA