Re: Does VARCHAR2 size matter?

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 15:01:54 GMT

Mark D Powell doodled thusly:

>columns prior to version 8, which was 2000 bytes. I am pretty sure
>pl/sql has allowed a varchar2 datatype to be 32K since at least
>version 2 if not all the way back to version 1.

quite possible. there is definitely an impedance mismatch between varchar2 in DB and PL/SQL with 8i. IIRC, one has a max of 4000 while the other has a max of 32K. which makes for some interesting problems every once in a while. same goes for subtypes and siblings, like CHAR and STRING. a bit of a nuisance for the unprepared.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 09:01:54 CST