Trigger failure does not block transaction

From: Tweetie Pooh <tp601553_at_cia.gov>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:28:26 GMT

I just got back from sick leave and found that a developer has added a trigger to a database I run.

I am not a hot tonto DBA type and need a pointer.

The problem is that this trigger is not very smart.

I update records in one of my tables. This trigger detects this change (flag value) and copies part of the record into one of his tables. His schema is duff and the trigger may attempt to break a unique constraint in his table.

His trigger failing then causes my transaction to fail. I have disabled his trigger until I can check with the developer what he is really upto and to help him better his schema. Is there a (simple) way so that if his trigger does fail it doesn't stop my transaction? If yes where can I find details?

(I'm sure google can help but how do I state the problem so I get a managable list of solutions).

We don't have printed manuals and only have the single server at the moment. The data is collected from automatted systems and may be used in legal/police matters so we can't afford to play with it too much.

TIA Received on Thu Feb 07 2002 - 08:28:26 CST