Re: Two sanity checks

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:57:11 -0000

First one -

    Doesn't sound sensible. A one-TB object is     asking for trouble. It looks like the table is     begging to be partitioned by date and locally     indexed.

Second one -

    High precision information, intelligence, and     sensible placement will show significant benefits     on extreme systems.

    A little finesse and care will be beneficial on     most systems.

    Total ignorance and lack of attention seems to     be adequate fairly often.

    SANs and their ilk can eliminate a lot of the need     for careful planning - but it is still possible to do     better with a little care, and it is possible to produce     extremely poor results without a little care. It is     particularly easy to get into trouble if (a) the disks     are too big and/or (b) the big black box is shared     with another application.

Sorry, I don't have the certification, but I can do the big bill if you insist.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

<1e8276d6.0202070251.73fa427e_at_posting.google.com>...