Re: pls help with 8.1.7 and SuSE 7.3!

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 01:28:22 GMT

On Wed, 06 Feb 2002 12:23:40 -0500, G.A. wrote:

> Here's whats happened so far...
>
> Installed, albeit with some headaches, 8.1.7 on SuSE 7.3 pro, Oracle is
> up & running, or so it seems anyway. I can open svrmgrl and sqlplus and
> connect to other databases on the network. The gui's seem to come up ok,
> (after typing "unset LANG") and do what they are supposed to do, with the
> exception of dbassist.
>
> Have run dbassist several times, at one point it has gotten far enough to
> create the directory structure, once it actually created the scripts when
> I asked it to (they wouldn't run), but mostly it hangs, I let it go
> overnight just in case it was taking that long, but nothing.
>
> I tried using typical install, custom, you name it, same results. This is
> from the downloaded tarball, not a CD.
>
> Tried to create a database manually, got errors that oracle was not
> available. Now for some reason, I'm not sure why, I just get the
> ORA-03113 error when starting svrmgrl. Try to run dbstart and get an
> error saying it can't find the init<sid>.ora file, I created an init file
> manually and put it in $oracle_home/dbs, where dbstart expects to find
> it. (as well as in the pfile directory in /opt/oracle/admin/<sid>, just
> in case)
>
> I've read the howto's from Suse and Oracle and others, but obviously I
> missed something and still am missing whatever it is, what to do?
>
> It's probably as plain as day right in front of me somewhere, but I'm
> juggling getting this up & running with my other DBA duties and havent
> been able to dedicate a lot of time to it. My main goal is to set this up
> as a test environment, get the management server on it running and create
> another repository for OEM.
>
> THEN, maybe I'll tackle an install of 9i on it, (perhaps I should have
> done that first?)
>
> suggestions?

Actually, Oracle9i is easier to install on a glib2.2 system (like SuSE 73) then Oracle8i. First, you have to download a patch from the metalink (dunno whether the patch is still available there, but you can download it from

ftp://oracle-ftp.oracle.com/server/patchsets/unix/LINUX/bug1467074)

Then, you must get your self a korn shell, like the one available in pdksh.rpm from SuSE or from wwww.kornshell.com. Next, you should have ORACLE_BASE,ORACLE_HOME,ORACLE_SID and DISPLAY set and exported before you start the installation. Don't forget to export those variables.

May the force be with you!

$ sqlplus scott/tiger

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Wed Feb 6 20:27:42 2002

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production

SQL> select * from v$version;

BANNER

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production PL/SQL Release 9.0.1.2.0 - Production
CORE 9.0.1.2.0 Production
TNS for Linux: Version 9.0.1.2.0 - Production NLSRTL Version 9.0.1.1.0 - Production

SQL>

--
Mladen Gogala