Index usage ??

From: Ralf <hexenloewe_at_gmx.de>
Date: 6 Feb 2002 13:36:21 -0800

I have the following statement:

select max(value1) from table1

There is an index "index1 on table1(value1)".

The plan for the above statement shows me that the database uses an full index scan and an table access by rowid to retrieve the value. Why does it behave like this ?

I tought the index should be sorted ? Then i would navigate at the end of the index, get the value. I wouldn´t do any full index scan and would not go to the table to get the value, because its in the index already.

Can someone explain, please ?

Ralf Received on Wed Feb 06 2002 - 15:36:21 CST